CAMPBELL SPORTS CENTERNew York, United States 2013
PROGRAM: strength and conditioning spaces, offices for varsity sports, theater-style meeting rooms, a hospitality suite, and student-athlete study rooms.
CLIENT: Columbia University
- SIZE: 48,000 sq ft
Located on the corner of West 218th street and Broadway — the northernmost edge of Manhattan, where Broadway crosses with Tenth Avenue and the elevated tracks of the 1 subway line — the Campbell Sports Center forms a new gateway to the Baker Athletics Complex, the primary athletics facility for Columbia University’s outdoor sports program.
The first new athletics building to be constructed on Columbia University's campus since the Marcellus Hartley Dodge Physical Fitness Center was built in the mid-1970s, the Campbell Sports Center is the new cornerstone of the revitalized Baker Athletics Complex and provides increased program space for the entire intercollegiate athletics program. The facility, which adds approximately 48,000 square foot of space, houses strength and conditioning spaces, offices for varsity sports, theater-style meeting rooms, a hospitality suite and student-athlete study rooms.
The Campbell Sports Center aims at serving the mind, the body and the mind/body for aspiring scholar-athletes. The design concept “points on the ground, lines in space” — like field play diagrams used for football, soccer, and baseball — develops from point foundations on the sloping site. Just as points and lines in diagrams yield the physical push and pull on the field, the building’s elevations push and pull in space.
The building shapes an urban corner on Broadway and 218th street, then lifts up to form a portal, connecting the playing field with the streetscape. Extending over a stepped landscape, blue soffits heighten the openness of the urban scale portico to the Baker Athletics Complex. Terraces and external stairs, which serve as “lines in space,” draw the field play onto and into the building and give views from the upper levels over the field and Manhattan.
Films on The Campbell Sports Center are available on Vimeo at the links below:
Campbell Sports Center
Campbell Sports Center, a Conversation with Steven Holl and Chris McVoy
- MUNICIPAL ART SOCIETY 2013 MASTERWORKS AWARD FOR BEST NEW BUILDING 2013
- 2013 OUTSTANDING PROJECTS, GREATER NEW YORK CONSTRUCTION USER COUNCIL 2013
- 2014 ACEC NEW YORK PLATINUM AWARD, BUILDING/TECHNOLOGY SYSTEMS 2013
- 2014 BUILDING OF THE YEAR, THE ARCHITECT'S NEWSPAPER 2014
- 2014 AIA NY DESIGN HONOR AWARD 2014
- 2014 AIA NYS DESIGN MERIT AWARD 2014
- 2014 THE INTERNATIONAL ARCHITECTURE AWARD, THE CHICAGO ATHENAEUM MUSEUM OF ARCHITECTURE AND DESIGN 2014
- Steven Holl ( design architect, principal )
- Chris McVoy ( partner in charge )
- Olaf Schmidt ( associate in charge ) Marcus Carter, Xi Chen, Christiane Deptolla, Peter Englaender, Runar Halldorsson, Jackie Luk, Filipe Taboada, Dimitra Tsachrelia, Ebbie Wisecarver (project team)
- construction manager
- structural engineer
- MEP engineer
- civil engineer
- sustainability engineer
- curtain wall consultant
- lighting consultant
- audio/visual consultant
- acoustical consultant
- code consultant
- precast plank
- facade fabrication
- facade installation
– Steven Holl Architects
– Structuretone / Pavarini McGovern
– Robert Silman Associates
– ICOR Associates
– Hirani Engineering
– W.J. Higgins
– Wald Studio
– The Clarient Group
– Cerami Associates
– Design 2147 Limited
– Davis Langdon
– Construction Specifications Inc.
– Weir Welding
– Architectural Wall Systems
– City Newark Glass