The Terezín Ghetto Museum completed Schematic Design phase in partnership with Marcela Steinbachová and SKUPINA Studio. Founded in 1780 as a military fortress, Terezín served as a Jewish Ghetto during World War II where an estimated 33,000 people died and the museum honors the individuals whose lives were taken during this tragic moment in history. Space of Light, a new addition, is a hopeful new presence in the center of Terezín, gently ascending above the surrounding buildings toward the sky. The design also includes a renovation of the existing museum and exhibition design, new parks and green spaces surrounding the site, updated parking, and a new information center.
Images courtesy Michal Nohejl / obrazek.org