Sculptures, original watercolors and fine art prints from the Explorations of “IN” research project will be on view and for sale at SELECT FAIR NYC at the former DIA Chelsea location—548 W 22nd St.— booth 206 from May 13 – 17, 2015.
SELECT FAIR NYC is a contemporary art fair exclusive to contemporary galleries and selected print publishers.
About Explorations of “IN”
Explorations of “IN” is an ongoing research project under development at Steven Holl Architects since June 2014. Questioning current clichés of architectural language and commercial practice, Explorations of “IN” began with a manifesto. It has since developed in a series of exploratory drawings and CNC model studies such as Triple Venn Diagram Mutilation and Hybrid Combinations: Tesseract within a Cubic Sphere. More recent CNC models in laminated walnut, cut in Walla Walla, Washington, continue the research.
Our aim of exploring what is possible in Architecture, to re-value the art of Architecture, aims at inner spatial energy, shaping public space and social openness.
7-point manifesto for Explorations of “IN” project:
1. To study architecture freed from the purely objective.
2. From origins of Architecture we explore “IN.”
3. “IN”: All space is sacred space.
4. The architecture of “IN” dominates space via space.
5. Intrinsic “IN” is an elemental force of sensual beauty.
6. “IN” is useless, but in the future will be used. Purpose finds “IN.”
7. The thing containing is not the thing contained.
The “Ex of In” team is led by Steven Holl and Dimitra Tsachrelia and composed by Yuliya Savelyeva and Ruoyu Wei.