INSTITUTE FOR CONTEMPORARY ART, VCURichmond, United States of America 2018
PROGRAM: gallery spaces, lobby, 240-seat performance space, cafe, administrative offices, classroom, sculpture terrace, art storage spaces.
CLIENT: Virginia Commonwealth University
41,000 sq ft
Sited at the edge of the Virginia Commonwealth University campus in Richmond, Virginia, the new Institute for Contemporary Art links the University with the surrounding community. On the busiest intersection of Richmond at Broad and Belvidere Streets, the building forms a gateway to the University with an inviting sense of openness.
The city-facing entrance is formed by an intersection of the performance space and forum, adding a “Z” component to the “X-Y” movement of the intersection. The torsion of these intersecting bodies is joined by a “plane of the present” to the galleries in “forking time.”
The idea of “forking time” suggests that in the world of contemporary art there are many parallel times. The notion of one ongoing time and its “grand narrative” of history is questioned. The new Institute for Contemporary Art is organized in four galleries, each with a different character.
The exterior matte translucent glass and pre-weathered titanium zinc skin share the same greenish-grey tonality, giving the building a shifting presence, from monolithic opaque to multifarious translucent, depending on the light. The four rooftop gardens include a sculpture terrace on the second level for site-specific artist installations. The LEED Gold building is heated and cooled with geothermal wells, harvesting the same amount of energy during the winter to heat the building as it restores in the summer to cool the building.
With its inviting double-fronted forum opening to a serene sculpture garden, the 41,000 sq ft building provides spatial energy for the most important cutting-edge contemporary art exhibits. Propelled by VCU’s top-ranked School of the Arts, the ICA's architecture is an instrument for exhibitions, film screenings, public lectures, performances, symposia, and community events, engaging the University, the city, and beyond.
- 2017 ARCHITECTURAL DIGEST, MOST ANTICIPATED BUILDINGS OF 2018 LIST
- 2018 THE ART NEWSPAPER, MOST IMPORTANT MUSEUM OPENINGS OF 2018 LIST
- 2018 AIA RICHMOND, HONOR AWARD
- 2018 METAL ARCHITECTURE DESIGN AWARDS, SMOOTH METAL WALL PANELS
- 2018 ARCHITIZER, 2018 HONOREES, PROJECT OF THE YEAR
- 2018 ARCHITIZER, CULTURAL-MUSEUM, SHORTLIST
- 2018 ARCHITIZER, CONCEPTS - PLUS-ARCHITECTURE + ENGINEERING, SHORTLIST
- 16 October 2018: Institute for Contemporary Art wins Architizer's A+ Awards 2018 Project of the Year
- 13 April 2018: Institute for Contemporary Art at VCU Opens to the Public on April 21
- 17 October 2017: New Institute for Contemporary Art at VCU Will Open April 21, 2018
- 01 November 2016: Construction Update: Markel Center at Virginia Commonwealth University
- 03 June 2014: Virginia Commonwealth University New Institute for Contemporary Art celebrates groundbreaking
- 13 September 2012: "Steven Holl Architects: Forking Time" Exhibition Opens At Virginia Center for Architecture
- 25 April 2012: Virginia Commonwealth University Unveils Design for New Multidisciplinary Arts Institution Designed by Steven Holl Architects
- 19 April 2012: Steven Holl Architects to unveil design for Virginia Commonwealth University's Institute for Contemporary Art at Meulensteen on April 26
- 31 May 2011: Steven Holl Architects Selected to Design New Institute for Contemporary Art at Virginia Commonwealth University
- Steven Holl ( design architect, principal )
- Chris McVoy ( design architect, partner in charge )
- Dominik Sigg ( project architects )
- Dimitra Tsachrelia ( project architects ) Garrick Ambrose, Rychiee Espinosa, Scott Fredricks, Gary He, Martin Kropac, JongSeo Lee, Yasmin Vobis, Christina Yessios (project team)
- associate architects
- Charles Piper ( partner in charge )
- Bo Fairlamb ( project manager )
- Jason Dufilho ( project architect )
- structural engineer
- mechanical engineer
- landscape consultant
- lighting consultant
- audio/visual consultant
- theater technical consultant
- elevator consultant
- food services consultant
- code consultant
- LEED consultant
- curtainwall consultant
– Steven Holl Architects
– BCWH Architects
– Robert Silman Associates
– Ascent Engineering
– Michael Boucher Landscape Architecture
– L'Observatoire International
– Convergent Technologies Design Group, Inc.
– Theatre Consultants Collaborative
– Jenkins & Huntington
– Food Services Consultants Studio
– Jensen Hughes
– Sustainable Design Consulting
– W.J. Higgins & Associates, Inc.
– WDP & Associates